The bad news: snakes are the reason the gopher population went down.
We've always had snakes, just not this big and not climbing on my front door. This bull snake was at least four feet long and must have been trying to get to a nest. I am more careful when I open that door now.
Luckily, we don't have rattle snakes on the Pawlet Unit for some reason. But they are everywhere else, including the McGinley. Joslyn (currently living on the McGinley) was taking a nap on her couch and woke up to a rattle snake in her living room (the siding was off their house because it had asbestos). I'm pretty nervous about moving down there now. I guess I won't be able to just send the boys outside without checking the yard out first. We have been told that the guinea hen eats snakes and there is someone in our branch who owns some, so hopefully we will get some and be able to keep the snakes out of our yard. I am also considering pigs if the snakes are too bad. I really don't like snakes.
4 comments:
Holy Smokes, and you want me to come to your house when, right during snake season. I hope you get your chickens or pigs or what ever your going to get before next week.
YIKES! I don't mind snakes as long as they stay in their own space. He is knocking on your door! And he's huge! *Shiver*
Bret enjoyed this post...he still loves snakes. Funny, we have snake lovers and scaredy-cats in our house....one day, we found Erin at the top of the tether-ball pole screaming, while Lizzie on the ground chasing a 4" baby snake.
Wecome to the blogging word! I love your pics and postings. Keep up the good work! Give that new baby a kiss for me...and Cache and Ryder too! I have baby girl clothes for you...don't shop too much!
If I saw that climbing up my front door, I'd probably use the back door from now on. We've got little snakes around here...the other day the kids all came screaming to the front door and they said they found a black and yellow striped snake. Aaron went out looking for it, but never found it. Lucky for him...he's just about as scared as they are!
Post a Comment