Saturday, October 8, 2011

One Month

Riggin had his 1 month check up on Monday.  He had been really fussy the whole weekend and still pretty yellow.  He was in the 0 percentile for weight (6 lbs. 15 oz. - not even up a pound from his birth weight) and in the 3rd percentile for head circumference and length.  We found out that he has a milk protein intolerance, which means his body isn’t able to break down milk or soy proteins (the doctor said most babies grow out of it by 1 year).  So I could have either gone on a milk- and soy-free diet and still nurse him, or he goes on special formula in which the protein is already partially broken down.  We opted for the formula and he already seems to feel much better.  I’m sad.  For him.  For me. 

Hopefully these will be his last skinny pictures.

001005014048049

4 comments:

Bob and Sara said...

He is a cute, cute baby. I can't believe he is a month already. Crazy that you would have a milk intolerant baby. I'm happy the formula has helped him so quickly.

Countrylivn' said...

He is such a little squirt. He will just get chubba chubb now Im sure! We have Mom and Dad here tonight, wish I was going on with them to see you.

Andy and Sarah said...

He's so cute!!! Two of my kids where on the special formula, they were so much happier on it and gained weight. Good luck!!!

GSGC StrongFamily said...

Kiley, I just stopped by your blog- wanted to say hello! (this is Sabrina from WA) I had a baby with milk intolerance- he didn't have trouble gaining weight, but he was SUPER fussy and finally had blood in his stool when we figured it out. By the time he was about 7 months, I could eat dairy again without it bothering him. He is such a cute little guy- all of your kids are! (cute)
Just wanted to say hello!