Sunday, October 20, 2013

Creepy!

We visited the creepiest place over the weekend.  They house and breed snakes, turtles, lizards, gators, etc.

photo 5

Checking out the turtles.

DSC_0001DSC_0002DSC_0075

Then we went in the snake house.  And after being in there I think I’d rather be near a gator than a snake.

DSC_0005DSC_0022DSC_0006DSC_0008DSC_0014DSC_0085DSC_0018

At this place they harvest snake venom and we were able to watch them do it. 

DSC_0024DSC_0027

This guy has been bit 15 times.  He doesn’t have much feeling left in his hands, he’s missing a finger and has many other battle scars.  He’s developed an allergy to the venom, so the last time he was bit they had to restart his heart 3 times. 

DSC_0033DSC_0037DSC_0040DSC_0053DSC_0054DSC_0058DSC_0060

After the harvest they brought out a non-venomous snake for everyone to hold.  I was even brave enough to hold it (at a distance).

DSC_0064DSC_0068DSC_0070DSC_0073

A Nile crocodile.

DSC_0077

A tiny turtle.

DSC_0079DSC_0081

Banana spider over the turtle enclosure.

DSC_0084

And then we had lunch at a Southern chicken and biscuits/pirate joint.

photo 1photo 3

5 comments:

wyomingerica said...

your such a nice mom, I could hardly look at the pictures. The restaurant looked fun!

Kaysi said...

That looks like a fun place!! We love reptile gardens. I can't believe that guy is still getting venom out after all that... Crazy

Countrylivn' said...

Why do they need to harvest snake venom? You think he would get a new occupation!!? Really fun day!

M&B Redden said...

You are a brave woman. I hate creepy crawlies. It was good to see a picture of you!

Summer Freeman said...

They harvest the venom so they can make anti venom with it. Love the pic of your distant snake holding!! HAHA