Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Weaning Day

We weaned our calves today. We put the calves in a pasture that shares a fence line with the pasture that the cows are in so the babies can still find their mamas across the fence. Then after a few days when the calves have gotten used to being without their mothers we move the cows off. It's less stressful for the calves. It's always nice to have a big day like this done. I only fed 9 guys, but the meal prep still takes two days of work prior to the actual weaning day. I did manage to make it out to the chute to take a few pictures, but there's really not anything exciting or cool to see when we wean. Now we just get to listen to the cattle bawl for a couple days until we move the mamas off.


On the way home after picking Kache up from school we found this on the road. We had to run it over 4 times before we knew for sure it was dead. This picture doesn't show its rattles very well, but it probably had 10 or 12.

4 comments:

Countrylivn' said...

you are brave! I cant even fun snakes over, it gets me too close to them, I am whimpy....

wyomingerica said...

Wow, at lease it was on the road and not crawling up your front door.

Summer Freeman said...

that thing looks mean!

Summer said...

Yipes! Good job getting rid of that one. How are you doing with Kache being at school? I can't believe that next year I will only have Kiley. Colten will have all day kindergarten too. Well I forgot to give Cailin lunch money today so I'm off to see Jason's mom at the school in Victor!