I’m nearing the end (hopefully) of the thyroid cancer treatment. Unfortunately, I’m afraid these last two weeks will be the worst. Tomorrow I have to start the low-iodine diet. That means no milk! no chocolate! nothing that contains iodine! I think the the surgery was less painful than this diet will be. Thankfully I only have to stay on it for a week. I plan on having a big glass of chocolate milk when it’s over.
Next Tuesday I have the radio-active iodine treatment. We still have quite a few questions about this since I don’t get to have a consult with nuclear medicine until the day before the treatment. But what I know for sure is I have to stay away from people for two days, and they strongly suggest I stay away from kids for longer. So I have to stay locked in my room for 2+ days while I’m radioactive. I don’t know if I’m looking forward to this or not. No housework, child care, or cooking. I don’t have to watch (or listen) to Dora. I can sit and read and not be interrupted. Two whole days to myself. This confinement definitely has its benefits. But the dream I had last night suggests it might not be all fun and games. The kids and I were in a building across the street from a nuclear reactor that was melting down and I couldn’t get the kids out. As I’ve thought on that, it amazes me how the brain works. Next week I will be radioactive, unable to care for my kids and no doubt having a meltdown from being stuck in my bedroom for two days.
I have to be off my thyroid meds for three weeks prior to the treatment. The first week was pretty rough. I was having muscle aches, headaches, nausea, weakness and just overall tired. I thought this was all due to no thyroid or meds, but then Jason started with the body aches and nausea so I think we must have just come down with something. This past week was much better. Aside from being tired, I’ve felt really good. And it is because of everyone’s prayers and fasting on my behalf. I have felt them and been strengthened beyond my capacity. Thank you for your concern and love.
Now, I’m ready to get these next two weeks over and get back to normal life - or at least a new normal!
3 comments:
Sounds good, I hope you can enjoy your time in solitude. Hopefully you do get a lot accomplished, Jason will be happy to go back to work! I mean his job, cause he will definately be working at home!
The solitude is fine for about 2 days, then the guilt sets in and you know you should be up doing things and taking care of your kids. Good luck!
Hope you have some good books and movies lined up.
Post a Comment