Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dragging On

Moral was low this morning because we still had five cows left to calve. Apparently the dexamethozone didn't do its job. Jason was pretty frustrated when I went down to the barn this morning. I did get there just in time to help pull a calf though. It was only the second one I've ever pulled so I enjoyed it.


The before and after the pull. There aren't any action shots because Jason and I were the only ones out there.

The boys and I went out after breakfast and this one had just calved. Newborn calves are so cute (after their mothers clean them up). Can you imagine a human baby up and walking minutes after delivery?


So I am done cooking. Doc and the vet students left after breakfast. I need to go to Walmart soon. I was hoping Jason could come with me tomorrow (not that going to Walmart is any easier than calving, but the shopping has to be done and he wants to get off the ranch for a little while).

4 comments:

BriAnne said...

Yay! Almost over, huh? Kyle always says the same thing about cows....can't believe they can walk and our babies can't.:) Congrats on surviving all of that.

Anna Beal said...

So how far away is Walmart for you? Good job on the "delivery".

wyomingerica said...

so 3 cavles left, almost over, yeah!

Brenny said...

The before and after made me laugh. The cow is standing all normal and then it is on its side and looks exhausted.

The calf is cute, cute, cute! I hope the other ones come soon.