Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Weaning calves

Here are some pictures of weaning our calves last Friday. This is one of those weeks (along with the last calf born during calving season, the day after our branding, our preg check in October, and when the calves are finally shipped off in November) when Jason can breathe a sigh of relief. I can also breathe a sigh of relief because I don't have to worry about cooking for the guys for another month. The weaning meal isn't as scary as a branding meal. When we wean we only have eight guys at the most, when at a branding you can have as many as 50 people.

Jason taking down numbers and weights, Harry running the hydraulic squeeze.

Kache (in the background) and Monte (the neighbor) and Ryder helping move the calves down the alleyway.

Feeding the guys in the rain.


We keep the cows in a neighboring pasture for a couple of days so the calves can still find their mothers across the fence - it is less stressful for them this way. Now we cake the calves every day until they get loaded on the truck in November.

1 comment:

Brenny said...

All the things involved with cattle ranching amaze me. I know I'm a city girl and everything and know next to nothing about the business, but it facinates me. Thanks for sharing!

And way to feed the masses. Er... Men and cows.