Friday, September 19, 2008

Work

We helped Jason move calves the other day. I drove the Unimogg and Kache and Jason rode behind to keep the calves moving. The mogg was/is a European military vehicle that we now use to feed our cattle instead of a tractor. It has its benefits (like enough room for our whole family), but we're looking forward to having a tractor when we get down to the McGinley.

The mogg. It isn't easy to get into when a person is nine months pregnant.

We had to take the calves through a couple of pastures, so it took a couple of hours, and no, it isn't easy to nurse a baby while driving the mogg through the Sandhills. But we survived and Dallie did really good, better than Kache and Ryder (they had gone out earlier in the morning with Jason to move the cows so they were already tired).

My two helpers. Yes, Ryder is hanging out the window asleep.


Jason's helpers. Kache is riding "Prince". It's amazing how patient that horse is with Kache. When Jason took me on my first (and only) pack trip I rode Prince. The only reason I didn't cry (out of fear) was because we were with three other couples. Jason regretted putting me on Prince because he wasn't a "beginner's horse". Yet, look at my four-year-old. I'm just not a horsewoman, I would like to be, but I'm not. My mom grew up on a ranch and she isn't a horsewoman either. Her reason is justifiable, however. When she was young a horse took her through an open sewer. That's enough to give one a bad taste in their mouth.

My view from the driver's seat. That round, silver thing in the bottom, right corner is the siren. This is how we call the cattle.

This is looking like a good move. The calves are actually following. Once we got out of this pasture on to fresh feed however, it all went down hill.

This is what we call a traffic jam. We're always glad when we don't meet up with any oncoming vehicles.

Jason and Kache bringing up the rear.

Ryder got to ride after we were all finished and headed back home.

I'm lucky Jason is patient with me when I go out to help. I don't understand his hand signals so I don't know what he wants me to do or where to go, so I get frustrated and I figure he has to be as well, but when we're all done, he's very grateful for my help and never seems upset.

4 comments:

Brenny said...

What a vehicle! The picture of Ryder hanging out the window is great. How cool that Kache gets to help out. He looks like a natural.

Summer Freeman said...

Dallie looks just like Kache. Cute of Ryder, fall asleep anywhere!!

Carrie said...

Hi Kiley,
I am not sure if you rember me, but Allison and I were your visiting teachers for awhile before you left Laramie. I found your blog on Anna's and thought I would say "HI". Your boys are so big. Ryder was just a baby last time I saw him, and your daughter...she is beautiful. we have a blog thecrazylifeofthegrahams.blogspot.com
Carrie Graham

Aleighy said...

Looks like fun! I wish Aaron enjoyed riding horses, but he would rather walk! The kids ride horses everytime we go home to visit. That's their favorite thing to do...but they still are too chicken to do it all by themselves. I wish they had more time to ride...I love it! I wish I could come see you and ride around with you. Looks like you guys get lots of time to be together.