We went to dinner at Chili's Saturday night. Eating out is always fun since it doesn't happen very often, and it's especially nice when it isn't McDonald's. Our hotel stay was not so fun. Trying to sleep in the same room with three kids equals no sleep at all. Ryder doesn't sleep good if he isn't in his own bed so every time he woke up crying, he woke up Dallie as well. Staying in a hotel used to be so fun, but with kids corralled up in a little room, germs (doorknobs, TV remote, bed spread, carpet, etc.), and all the people that are there, it just isn't fun anymore. I'm happy staying home being a hermit. By living out in the middle of nowhere I've lost my ability to drive in cities (it doesn't help that I drive a suburban the size of a bus either). I used to love to drive in cities (Boise, Tri-Cities, even Denver), but now when I'm surrounded by other cars I feel claustrophobic (and Rapid City is a fairly small city).
Here are a couple pictures from our trip.
This is how you know you are in South Dakota: there is a casino on the state line.
A picture looking west at the Black Hills.
Looking east at the Great Plains.
On our way home we decided to drive through the Black Hills and enjoy the scenery. The boys enjoyed seeing the faces in the mountain (Mount Rushmore). We just drove by as it was Sunday and we have been before with Bobby and Sara (a story for another time: we left our diaper bag by a bench, security thought it was a bomb, Jason had to be escorted by a man with a gun to get it, I was in tears, etc, etc).
Crazy Horse (still under construction).
The wildlife in Custer State Park. Sadly overgrazed. When we came with Bobby and Sara last time we camped here. The campground was fenced in, but it was still a little scary to be camping across a barbed wire fence from buffalo.
The happy travelers. One of the benefits of living so far from town is that the boys know how to travel well.
The unhappy travelers. These two haven't yet learned how to travel well.
Kache and Dallie during one of our diaper-changing stops.
As happy as we were to get off the ranch, we were even happier to get back.
4 comments:
I love the Black Hills -- they are beautiful. Cute pictures of the kiddos. I'm glad the talk went well. When you get the chance, definitely share the diaper bag bomb story. It sounds awesome!
Looks like a great trip. I agree with you on the hotel thing. Especially in Rapid City. I didn't like staying there. Did you go down town and look at all the presidents on the street corner. We always play guess the presidents. Rapid is a fun vacation.
So sad about the Hotel thing. I hear ya. When we went on our trip to Oregon, we put Mycah down in a Pack-n-play in the bathroom and brought a white noise maker...It worked fab!
Sounds like you had fun....except for the hotel (I hate taking the kids to a hotel too). It's so fun to see where you live. I wish you could take a video camera with you so I could see what it's like there (since you're too far away to visit).
Oh, when are you coming to Idaho? Christmas? We are headed to BC the 26th-3rd. Hope we won't miss you!
Post a Comment