Friday, August 19, 2011

Random

Well, I have more random pictures and more random things to say.  I had my last doctor’s appointment on Monday.  The baby is low, I’m dilated and effaced and the doctor thought I‘d have the baby this week.  But I know better.  My induction is scheduled for next Wednesday.  Our biggest problem now is trying to figure out a name.  We have a pretty good list of boys’ names, but we can’t agree on girls’ names.  I just keep thinking this has to be a boy or we would have come up with a girl name by now.  Although, Tricia suggested Ruby (and Mijken wanted to use it for her next girl) and since then I’ve seen it a lot on baby name websites.  I think it would be a good middle name, except the one first name Jason and I both kind of like is also a form of red.  I am getting excited (and nervous) about this baby.  I’ve been boiling pacifiers and washing baby clothes and bedding and getting packed for the hospital stay.  I try not to think about it too much though because then I get worried about the labor and delivery.  The older I get the more I get scared of needles and hospitals, etc. 

We shipped steers this week (14 trucks worth).  Shipping steers is always a good thing.  It ranks up there with the last calf born and the day after branding.  It’s a relief to have them gone.  Unfortunately, in a couple weeks we get the Handcart steers.  Handcart is the ranch near Martin’s Cove and they wean onto the trucks, which means a lot of sickness and three days of steers trying to escape the corrals and run back to Wyoming.  We will only keep them long enough to get them through their adjustment/sickness stage and then ship them to the feedlot.  It’s a pain.  It doesn’t make sense to me (a feedlot seems more able to handle the situation) but last year they had a wreck so they don’t want them and we are used to wrecks so we get them.  But I need to remember that the feedlot has only been in operation for just over a year and is still getting bugs out of its system. 

001

Dallie fell asleep on the dirty dinning room floor the other day after throwing a fit.  It just made me laugh seeing her laid out like that on such an uncomfortable floor.

035037

This year we have had so many water frogs.  We figure it has to be because of all the grasshoppers.  I’m worried though about next year.  If we have such a high population of frogs because of the great food source, are we going to have tons of snakes because of the amount of frogs?   Oh, the joys of country living.  In the pictures below you can see all the little bumps (frogs) in the moss.  And then you take a step toward them and they all hop away (bottom picture). 

025027028

1 comment:

Countrylivn' said...

You can use Ruby too, I had it planned for a middle name too, so it would be fine for us both to use. that is a lot of frogs-and your pictures are really cool. You know you have to blog at least a couple times right after baby is born so we can see her. Im getting nervous for you! It will all just be a memory soon though, you can do it! Wish I was coming...